Both of my machines are now updating Aperture to 1.5.3 via Software Update. A search at Apple's website turns up no information about 1.5.3, and I can't find any mention of the 1.5.3 update on the innernets. Here's what the update says:
Aperture 1.5.3 addresses issues related to overall reliability and performance in a number of areas, including:
- Generation of thumbnails for adjusted images
- Entering and exiting Full Screen mode
- Working with large sets of keywords in the Keywords HUD
- Restoring from a vault
Among the specific issues that have been addressed:
- Previews now update properly when images are sent to an external editor.
- Leaf Aptus 22 and Aptus 75 images are now imported with the correct orientation.
- When folders are imported as projects, the folder structure is now correctly preserved when identically named subfolders are included in the hierarchy.
- Reconnecting referenced images that have been externally edited now works more reliably.
- Setting the ColorSync profile in the Aperture Print dialog now correctly suppresses color management settings in the Mac OS X Print dialog.
One interesting thing is that my desktop downloaded the update at around 580Kb/sec while my notebook is chugging along at 20-70Kb/sec, with periodic dropouts to 0. That seems wrong.
--- UPDATE ---
My Mac Pro Quad still takes 10-15 seconds to display thumbnails for 30,200 images. I'm doing a find right now for all files containing "030801", and it's already been 45 seconds. I'm still waiting.