Problems with Google Sync and contacts on Mac OS X

I gave Google Sync's new contact sync feature a try a week ago, which was a big mistake. I've been using their calendar sync from Blackberry to Google for a months now without incident (I use Busy Sync to sync iCal with Google so local changes propagate to the Blackberry through two syncs), but the contact sync feature did terrible things. Be sure to back up if you are going to give it a try! I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.5, and am using Address Book and Mobile Me. Here's what happened:

1. Dupes. All entries that were flagged as companies were duplicated as normal entries. 2. Random duplicate entries 3. Multiple "no name" entries 4. Weirdly named, new entries 5. A different number of contacts each time I checked (it was creating new ones with each sync) 6. Second computer reports dozens of entries modified even when I make no changes 7. Lost email addresses for dozens of contacts