The FAA has announced drone registration to be effective using a new government website this coming December 21, 2015 (in 1 week). If you already own or purchase a new flying thing over 250 grams (0.55 lbs) in weight, you will need to register. Bullet points:
- Registration is for hobby use only. Commercial use still requires a Section 333 Exemption done the old way.
- Registration costs $5 per individual (all your drones get the same ID), but if you register before Jan 20, 2016, you get your fee refunded.
- If you already own a drone, you must register within 60 days (Feb 19, 2016),
- If you are under 13 years old, you can register via someone older than 13. So I guess if you are 12, you can have a friend who is 13 register for you (what?).
- Only U.S. citizens can register. It is currently unknown how non-citizens register.